Sunday, September 29, 2013

Diary of a Shopaholic




One of my all time favorite movies is Confessions of a Shopaholic. For those of you who have not seen the movie, it's basically a story of a girl, Rebecca Bloomwood, who is an extreme shopaholic, that by luck, lands a job at a financial magazine. Ironically, through her column called "The Girl In The Green Scarf"she gives advice to people on how to spend their money even though she is dealing with major debt.  Throughout the movie one can see the Marxist ideology come into play. For the most part the Marxist theory is seen at the beginning of the film when the main character has the mentality that buying is good, even if it hurts her.  The movie shows scenes in which buying is a relationship between the person and the merchandise being bought, which is sometimes acknowledged as a stronger bond. Even though the film is about the recovery of a shopaholic, most of the scenes encouraged buying goods one would not necessarily need. As Rebecca states, "When I shop, the world gets better"... that is until, one is so deep in debt there is no way out. 

2 comments:

  1. "The movie shows scenes in which buying is a relationship between the person and the merchandise..." After seeing this post I thought to myself about how so many people have a relationship with any type of merchandise. I can say for myself that sometimes I identify with merchandise that I purchase. I can buy a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte and actually feel connected with it. It's weird to think how consumerism is constantly creating relationships between us and the merchandise by appealing to our senses. Consumerism also has ways of making us feel as if we do not have enough which can eventually lead us into debt. This debt creates a whole new world of longing to have more but knowing we can't. If you really think about it closely consumerism is a total trap, even if you do not think you consume what most Americans do.

    Consumerism fills our empty gaps. I know if I have a bad day (tear up in class lol) or do horrible on an exam the first thing I feel like doing to pick myself up is go to the mall or grab a yummy snack. The statement "When I shop, the world gets better" is true in the most basic way. We shop to make ourselves feel better about something, or we shop for presents for other people so we can feel good about giving. Consumerism really does control the American society in the most basic way possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I have never seen this movie I have heard a lot about it, as well as the books. I mean right in the title it states what its about basically and I knew before hearing that it was about a girl whose life revolves around shopping. I am not a big shopper so I never really had any interest in this movie. I find it so surprising how people use shopping as therapy. I do not see how spending money has made people feel better because it kind of stresses me out. But that is what our society has become focused on and told is good. So when people are feeling bad they are going to do something that is said to be "good". Many people equate possessions with happiness because that is what the media tells them but that is not in my opinion, what true happiness. This movie shows that buying gives you temporary happiness, but a lot longer time of hardship and struggles which is something the media conveniently leaves out.

    ReplyDelete