Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Hungry #splitzontreez.....................racism?

 Please watch before commenting!



My really good friend showed me these links a few weeks ago. Regrettably, I have probably watched each video approximately 65984659.2356 times. Regrettably still, I find these videos to be quite hilarious. Our discussion in class on Wednesday really got me thinking about each and every stereotypical message (and there are a lot) in each and every one of these videos. 

I would just like to inquire what it is exactly about these characters, story lines, stereotypical depictions, etc. that we (I?) find so hilariously funny. They are obviously degrading an entire group of people through the use of comedy. Therefore, why does that make it okay?

What do you guys think about the term "ratchet"? In my opinion, it obviously implies the same meaning as "ghetto", however I think it stems just a bit further than that. I personally think that it degrades those of color at an even further level through different connotations such as: stupid. Poor. Unintelligent. Violent. Over-sexualized.
Is it appropriate?

What about the language?
What about the food?
What about the ghost?
What abut IT ALL?

What does this say about our culture's use of comedy?

No comments:

Post a Comment