Monday, December 9, 2013

Cyber Bullying, Net Neutrality?

a while back we discussed pragmatic analysis in class, and what role the government should play in media, but how much is too much regulation... etc. So as much as I disagree with the government spying on us via media and technology, I had to step outside of my views and try to see it in a new light. So what my mind started to wonder was if the government is going to spy on us anyways shouldn't it be on those who actually use media, or in this case internet, for evil and spread hateful and dishonest things about others. Cyber bullying is one biggest negative impacts we see today on kids from high school on down; how can it not be when it is so easy for bullies to attack their victims when it's coming from behind a screen. Children have taken to extremes such as suicide as an answer to this problem because there isn't anyone mediating what is being said to who on the internet. For example, when your older brother, sister, or even cousin is picking on you, essentially everyone had the same reaction to run and tell mom and/or dad. However, for those being picked on via the internet they don't have that same mediator that mom and dad play. So I wonder what it would be like if the government put their spying to good use and would play as the mediator in cyber bullying? Would the cyber bullying stop all together? Would we see a decrease in these victimized youth?

3 comments:

  1. I really like that you brought this up. I think the government should post definitely look for this and if they hear of a problem, they need to take some serious measures. This is a huge problem in society today and many people don't even know it is going on. I absolutely think we would see a decreased amount of cyber bullying going on if the national, state, and local governments all put a plan into action. I just don't understand why the government has done anything already! Thanks for sharing and great insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah, I really like this idea and I think that the government should look in to this because it is a huge problem here. I think the government has to get this issue out in the media more so more people know about this. But as much as I agree that this is a pressing issue, I just feel like one no one is going to step up and make this happen. I believe that the government is just going to say that we have other larger pressing issues to deal with. I think that it is CRAZY because this is a large pressing issue that should be dealt with! Im glad that you brought this up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This topic of cyber bullying is quite interesting. Ever since I watched the film "Cyber Bullying," I've wondered the same questions. I am split within this issue, because I feel that the government should have rules dealing with this problem but at the same time the extent at which they will spying on one's personal life is a little creepy. I do believe that if rules were really implemented than the issue of cyber bullying would decrease, but then we would have to deal with bullying in school.. which seems not to be any better.

    ReplyDelete