Friday, December 13, 2013

The Wonderful World Of Disney

Most of us grew up watching Disney films,  specially the most beloved princess ones like The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty. Throughout my communication studies at Regis, I've learned about the subliminal messages and ideals that are posed to young children through these films. Something that I did not realize is the amount of corporate power that this conglomerate possesses. Disney is a really powerful industry that dominates children's media all over the world. Essentially we are allowing Disney to shape children's imagination. After watching the documentary the Mickey Mouse Monopoly, I was quite astonished at the amount of work that Disney does to keep its reputation clean. In the documentary we learn the amount of control they have over the media and even the amount of messages we are exposed to. The consequences of this is that we are introduced to a very limited point of view of the world, filled with unreachable ideals.

1 comment:

  1. When I read this I thought of the South park episode where Micky Mouse controls the Jonas Brothers. In this episode he tells the brothers to put on purity rings so the girls will like them more. This shows the manipulation that Disney wants in order to control and have power even in other shows. I also visited Disney a few weeks ago and I stood next to Woody and Buzz and told them "Andies coming get down" and they dropped to the floor. The fact that they did that was scary and funny because I turned the tables on them and took control myself. But Disney is everywhere...they are even taking star wars :'(.

    ReplyDelete