Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Poor Rudolph.

Since it is the lovely season that is Christmas and what not, I figured I'd add a little something that I noticed last year while watching the traditional animatronic version of Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer.

This movie has always been a tradition of my family's to watch every year, but last year, I was was watching it, and I was taken quite a bit surprised.

The characters in the movie are completely out of date (and consequently out of line) with their ideas of social roles.

Rudolph's father Donner, is a misogynistic asshole, Santa Clause is a dick, and Ms. Clause enforces body images in some weird reverse feministic way. Like....wtf?

For example:
When Rudolph gets lost, his mom is looking to go help and Donner replies "No...this is a man's work."
Santa Clause completely at first rejects Rudolph because of his red nose. Donner had also tried so hard to cover it up. (Queer theory? I think so!)
Ms. Clause also gets hella pissed at Santa clause because he is too skinny. "Nobody wants a skinny santa."

I could literally go on about this for a bit longer, but I'd literally get to pissed off that my childhood was completely ruined when I realized all of this.

But please, if you decide to watch it this holiday, try to pick these things and more out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment