Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Google Super Hero Memes

Looking for some comedic relief I googled superhero memes and instead of getting comedic relief I stumbled upon a ton of politically incorrect, rude and just wrong super hero things instead. This one in particular stood out the most to me. This meme definitely breaks heteronormativity. When we think superman I know the first things to come to mind aren't: sex, rape or gay. Normally we think the opposite. I feel like this meme is showing homophobia and perversion of a beloved character. Whether or not Superman or the boy in this meme are meant to come off as gay, this makes homosexuality look perverse and wrong. I find it sickening that this is on the first page of google when something as simple as superhero memes is typed in. Things like this should not get popular enough to get to one of the top hits on google because it is gross and wrong.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on this. I think that Superman is an image that little kids look up to. Being one of the first things that you see when you google this is just wrong. Now a day little kids are on the internet using iPads and smart phones younger than ever before. With that being said, I think it would just be so wrong for a little child to stumble upon this image. It puts out a bad image for little kids thinking that homosexuality is bad as well a damper on Superman's image.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you about this meme in particular. This shows a confusion in my eyes because yes it shows this idea of homosexuality being bad, but it also shows this personal view that super heroes are gay. I do not know who made this, but perhaps super man is their least favorite super hero and because being gay is frowned upon in society he/she wanted to exploit superman as a villain. Because nowadays you can say that the heroes are "normal" and that the villains are "different" or "gay" which is sad in my opinion. And as Nik said, I would not want a kid or my kid to ever come across this image because this could leave them scarred for life.

    ReplyDelete