Monday, February 13, 2017

Black Love: The showings of Black and African American love in Film and Televison

When I was younger, I will admit a good majority of "black love' that I was exposed to was very minimal and I would not say that it was discouraging at the time but I would always wonder, "Why don't I see two characters that look like me and who love each other as much as my parents do?".  In popular media's history, black people have been seen as primitive, barbaric, dumb, lazy, submissive and most importantly, not being able to fall in love "properly". It is not until recently we begin to see black love being showcased from the late 70s to present. Such couples include Whitley Gilmore and Dwayne Wayne in A Different World, Carmen and Joe in Carmen Jones, Quincy and Monica in Love & Basketball, Darius and Nina in Love Jones, Martin And Gina in Martin, Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and I could go on but that would be a long blogpost. These particular couples showed that it is possible for Black and African American people that "Black Love" can be compassionate, supportive, strong and stable. 
- Isaro I. Murenzi



2 comments:

  1. Isaro,
    Great post! It is nice to see positive examples of black love are finally being portrayed in the media. The hashtag #blacklove also offers some good everyday examples. This brief rhetorical analysis is good, but in your final two posts, please make sure that you connect your examination more explicitly to a type of analysis using a specific concept from the readings to anchor the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you really reached back in time to show display of how Black love was viewed and changed over time. Especially how back then it was rare to see two black actors and actresses together and show display of love besides the part of being dumb or lazy. So very cool to see how you view it and how things changed over time.

    ReplyDelete