Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Sims Playing God.


Celebrating 17 years of playing God has never been so fun! The game has been around since the turn of the 21st century and features an open-world simulation that let's the player explore and create a world they want to exist. Having the power to a Sim's control life, death, wealth, and sexual orientation gives into the inner god-complex we all have deep inside. I never really knew about the game until my dad bought the Playstation 2 version of Sims 2 when I was around 8 or 9 years old. It was very overwhelming to know that I could create a world entirely on my own in which I make the boundaries, create a storyline for the Sims I create and just have the fate of a fictional human in my hands.
But the real question...how much power is too much? How does this free reign give in to this addiction of control?


2 comments:

  1. Another great example, Isaro, and I love your focus on the "god complex". As I mentioned in my comment for your last post, now just make the connection to a specific type of analysis (in this case Psychoanalytic) more explicit by using specific terms we used in class to discuss this. Good concepts for your post about this text would be "drives" and "fantasy".

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person who would probably be categorized as a video game addict when I was younger one of the areas I have always been drawn to is the question of why fantasy feels satisfying when it is fake. The whole point of our desire is to experience the highs of power, gratification and success without the lows of failure and pressure that arise in our normal existence. I don't have an answer but I think your post does a good job of engaging the ideas behind fantasy and asking why it is that our actions in games feel satisfying when we succeed despite the fact that satisfaction comes from winning over failure?

    ReplyDelete