Monday, February 13, 2017

PSA: Don't Die Dumbly




Over two years ago, I watched a video on YouTube where some people were reacting to dumb ways to die.  This animated video sang about multiple dumb ways to die through cute-round cartoons.  As I was watching it, I thought it was associated with Happy Tree Friends.  Then, at the end, I understand this was a public service announcement for the metros in Melbourne, Australia.  After watching it again, they hint that through the last set of dumb deaths involving trains and vehicles.  The text made me feel uncomfortable at first, but once when I figured out its intended meaning, I felt somewhat relieved.  There was an actual purpose behind these cartoons singing about death: to reach multiple audiences.  At the same time, what's missing from the announcement is the audience's reaction, yet was that the point?  

1 comment:

  1. Karen,
    This is such a strange & creative little advertisement! I wonder if it was linked with some other add to help viewers know what it was about prior to watching. While writing your two final posts, just make sure that you connect it more explicitly to a type of analysis using a specific concept to anchor the post in a specific lens.

    ReplyDelete